Accurate, Focused Research on Law, Technology and Knowledge Discovery Since 2002

The State of Open Humanitarian Data 2023

A report by the UN’s Humanitarian Data Exchange. “This report was produced in February 2023 by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) Centre for Humanitarian Data, which manages the Humanitarian Data Exchange (HDX) platform…In our fourth year of producing The State of Open Humanitarian Data, we can report the highest levels yet for data availability across priority humanitarian operations. These gains can be attributed to the commitment of organizations to sharing and maintaining their data publicly. There was also strong demand for data about the world’s largest humanitarian crises, from the war in Ukraine to drought and food insecurity in the Horn of Africa. Our understanding of data availability and use comes from managing the Humanitarian Data Exchange (HDX), an open platform for finding and sharing data across crises and organizations. In 2022, HDX was used by 1.5 million people in 233 countries and territories, an increase of 8 percent compared with 2021. Organizations added 3,700 new and updated datasets, bringing the total to more than 20,400 datasets, which were downloaded over 1.8 million times. Although HDX includes data about all countries in the world, we concentrate here on 25 locations with humanitarian response plans (HRPs). In 2022, 32 percent of all datasets downloaded from HDX were related to an HRP location. At the start of 2023, we estimate that 73 percent of relevant, complete crisis data is available across 25 humanitarian operations, based on the analysis of the HDX Data Grids. If we add the data that is relevant but incomplete, the total is 93 percent. This leaves 7 percent of categories with data that does not meet the criteria or with no data. The 25 Data Grids include 459 unique datasets, with a range of 13-22 datasets per location..”

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.