“These recommendations for #OpenSafely were published in an op-ed in USA Today on May 20, 2020 by a group of bipartisan health policy experts and leaders from broad and diverse backgrounds including Andy Slavitt; Mark McClellan, MD, PhD; and others (the complete list is on the site). Americans want our country to open up safely.
- We have been at this for a number of difficult weeks since the global pandemic began and it has taken a toll.
- It has been a time of unprecedented challenge. To our health. To our jobs. To our social connections. To our health care communities.
- We have sacrificed with a great unity to #StayHome in order to reduce the infection rate and save lives.
- We want a sense of normalcy back— to go to work, to go to restaurants, to see sports again, to send our kids to school, to hug our families— but not at the expense of the lives of our friends, families and neighbors.
- We want a good economy and public safety, but we are afraid if we open too quickly, or don’t have plans to adjust if spread recurs, we will have neither.
- We don’t believe we need to wait until everything is completely perfect or there is zero risk before we open again. The reality is that many states are already taking the first steps towards opening and this must happen in the safest way possible.
- Americans should still #StayHome whenever possible and continue social distancing. Now we need to get on a path to #OpenSafely that gets it right…”