reportingonsuicide.org: “Suicide is a public health issue. Media and online coverage of suicide should be informed by using best practices. Some suicide deaths may be newsworthy. However, the way media cover suicide can influence behavior negatively by contributing to contagion, or positively by encouraging help-seeking.
“The Recommendations for Reporting on Suicide were developed by leading experts in suicide prevention and in collaboration with several international suicide prevention and public health organizations, schools of journalism, media organizations and key journalists as well as Internet safety experts. The recommendations are based on more than 50 international studies on suicide contagion. Lead Partners:
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Annenberg Public Policy Center
- Columbia University Department of Psychiatry
- National Alliance on Mental Illness, New Hampshire
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Suicide Awareness Voices of Education..”