“On June 27, 2018, Associate Justice Kennedy informed President Trump that he would be retiring from the Supreme Court effective July 31st. In response to this announcement, President Trump stated that his next Supreme Court nomination would come from his existing list of potential Supreme Court justices. In our Judge and Appointment database, we have compiled extensive information about American judges, including their biographical data, the roles they have held before, during and after their time in the judicial branch, their political affiliations, and their campaign finance information (if applicable). The judges are also linked to the opinions they have authored. Here are links to every judge in our database that is on President Trump’s list. For a few judges, we have not yet completed this work, and so there’s no link.”
- See also Free Law Project’s Judge and Appointer Database: “For the benefit of researchers and practitioners, we are proud to host a comprehensive database of judges and the judiciary. This project was created by Free Law Project, in conjunction with Elliott Ash of Princeton University and Bentley MacLeod of Columbia University, with support from the National Science Foundation and the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. We hope this database, its APIs, and its bulk data will be valuable tools for practitioners and researchers across the country. At launch, the database contains data about thousands of state and federal judges and judicial appointors such as governors and presidents. Information includes biographical data about each person, the roles they have held before, during and after their time in the judicial branch, their political affiliations, their education, and any retention events that kept them in a judicial position (such as a reappointment).”
- See also CNN’s coverage of Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy’s impending retirement
- See also the Washington Post – Justice Kennedy, the pivotal swing vote on the Supreme Court, announces retirement
- See also The New York Times – Court Loses Swing Vote and Trump Can Move It Rightward
- SCOTUSblog – Anthony Kennedy, swing justice, announces retirement
- Vox – America after Anthony Kennedy – What Kennedy’s departure from the Supreme Court will mean for abortion, gay rights, and more.