“Hurricanes can cause dangerous and destructive high winds, flooding, heavy rain, and storm surges. Keep your family safe after a hurricane has made landfall. There may be a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, downed power lines, and mold, among others. For tips on how to be safe after a hurricane: https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/hurricanes/after.html. Below are a few key recommendations:
- Don’t go to the attic of your home. If the highest floor of your home becomes dangerous, get on the roof. Call 911 for help and stay on the line until the call is answered.
- Avoid driving through flooded areas, especially when the water is fast moving.
- As little as six inches of water can cause you to lose control of your vehicle.
- Avoid Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning after a disaster. Only use a portable generator outdoors in a dry area at least 20 feet away from doors, windows and vents that can allow CO to come indoors.
- The Disaster Distress Helpline (disasterdistress.samhsa.gov) provides 24/7, year-round crisis counseling and support. Call 1-800-985-5990 (TTY for deaf/hearing impaired: 1-800-846-8517) or text TalkWithUs to 66746…”
- Media Toolkits